Ok I agree, I’ve left it a little late to share my recipe for the Ultimate American Pancakes. The other thing I’m not going to hide from is that I’ve copped out and went ultra lazy tonight on Shrove Tuesday. Oh yes The Hoopers are having shake and bake pancakes (just add water). Usually I would whip out the ingredients and create the batter for this recipe. It doesn’t take long to make and after a few different versions, we all decided these were the best.
The Ultimate American Pancakes
You will Need:
135g Plain Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tbsp Caster Sugar
1 Large Egg
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1. Sift the Flour, Baking Powder, Sugar and Salt into a large mixing bowl. Basically all the dry ingredients.
2. Mix the Milk, Egg and oil together in a separate jug. Basically all the wet ingredients.
3. Pour the Wet Mix, into the Dry Mix and whisk together. Make sure to combine all the flour and keep whisking to remove any lumps.
4. Let your pancake batter stand for a few minutes.
5. Heat a frying pan with a little oil / spray light over a medium to low heat.
6. When the pan is hot, scoop a mug of batter up and pour a portion out to the size of about 150mm diameter.
7. Allow the pancake to cook until you see bubbles starting to appear on the top.
8. FLIP the pancake with a spatula and cook for a few seconds more until the pancake has risen to around 10mm thick.
9. Repeat until the batter is used up.
10. Stack ’em high and cover in butter, maple syrup, some bacon and if your feeling healthy some fruit!!
It is very easy to burn the first side of the pancake. Don’t be frightened to FLIP. As soon as a bubble appears and you can get your spatula underneath, FLIP. Step 10, is entirely down to preference. I like butter on mine, Imogen likes Spinkles, Ice Cream and syrup.
I’ll also add that I’ve seen to best pancake art today. See Spongebob Squarepants crafted out of pancake mix.